Sculptor, draughtsman and teacher. She studied at Guildford School of Art, 1949-53, under Willi Soukop and Bernard Meadows. She taught at Chelsea School of Art from 1951-61, St Martin’s School of Art, 1954-62, and at the Royal College of Art from 1965-67. After early exhibiting with the London Group, Frink had a one-man show at St George’s Gallery in 1955 and four years later at Bertha Schaefer Gallery, New York. Over the years she established herself as a sculptor concerned with themes, such as goggle men, running men and horses with and without riders. She also worked on many major public commissions, such as Wild Board for Harlow New Town; Blind Beggar and Dog at Bethnal Green and a noble horse and rider on Piccadilly.
Dame Elisabeth Frink, CH RA (1930-1993), Reclining Horse, 1977
Pencil and watercolour
22 x 32 in (55.8 x 81.2 cm)
Signed and dated
Settled at Woolland in the 1970s, where she lived for the rest of her life, Frink began to draw the things around her, most especially horses and dogs.
Having ridden from a young age at home in Suffolk, Frink developed a lifelong passion for horses. Very familiar with their characteristics and temperament, she depicted these powerful animals with great understanding. Her figures of solitary horses, often at rest, show particular warmth of feeling.