Sculptor, draughtsman and teacher. She studied at Guildford School of Art, 1949-53, under Willi Soukop and Bernard Meadows. She taught at Chelsea School of Art from 1951-61, St Martin’s School of Art, 1954-62, and at the Royal College of Art from 1965-67. After early exhibiting with the London Group, Frink had a one-man show at St George’s Gallery in 1955 and four years later at Bertha Schaefer Gallery, New York. Over the years she established herself as a sculptor concerned with themes, such as goggle men, running men and horses with and without riders. She also worked on many major public commissions, such as Wild Board for Harlow New Town; Blind Beggar and Dog at Bethnal Green and a noble horse and rider on Piccadilly.
Dame Elisabeth Frink, CH RA (1930-1993), Standing Horse, 1983
Signed and dated
Pencil, 30 ¼ x 22 in (76.8 x 55.8 cm)
Collections: Acquired directly from the artist by Mary Carswell (1933-2018)
Mary Carswell had a long and distinguished philanthropic career in the American arts and social services. This included roles as President and founding board member of the New York Academy of Art, long term board membership of The Clark Institute and as an Executive Director of The MacDowell Colony, a celebrated working retreat for artists. Correspondence between Frink and Carswell testify to their close friendship. The two first met in 1983 whilst Frink was hanging her latest exhibition. Advised that the bronze Standing Horse (A.Ratuszniak Elisabeth Frink ,Catalogue Raisonne of Sculpture 2013, no. FCR 310 repr.p.155) was the best work in the show Carswell bought that and this the related drawing.