Sculptor, draughtsman and teacher. She studied at Guildford School of Art, 1949-53, under Willi Soukop and Bernard Meadows. She taught at Chelsea School of Art from 1951-61, St Martin’s School of Art, 1954-62, and at the Royal College of Art from 1965-67. After early exhibiting with the London Group, Frink had a one-man show at St George’s Gallery in 1955 and four years later at Bertha Schaefer Gallery, New York. Over the years she established herself as a sculptor concerned with themes, such as goggle men, running men and horses with and without riders. She also worked on many major public commissions, such as Wild Board for Harlow New Town; Blind Beggar and Dog at Bethnal Green and a noble horse and rider on Piccadilly.
Dame Elisabeth Frink, CH RA (1930-1993), Sitting Down Horse, 1973
Signed and dated
Pencil and watercolour
29 ½ x 21 ½ in (75 x 54.5 cm)
This is a rare instance of Frink envisaging one of her sculptures in situ. The fictive surround in the drawing is arranged around the central vanishing point of the horse’s ear. The pose of the sitting down horse is familiar from Frink bronzes of this period.